I used to detest Kidney beans with all my heart ♥ and soul when I was studying in college. It made me cry from hunger for I just found it unpalatable! BUT I recently came across a recipe for rajma masala…and I don’t know what came over me I actually decided to forego all bad blood between rajma and me..end result was a delicious rajma masala served with chapattis!
- 1 can of kidney beans ( or if you prefer fresh ones take 1 cup of kidney beans, soak in water overnight. Then pessure cook for 4 whistles.
- 3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 green chilly
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped finely
- 3 medium sized tomatoes ,chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 2-3 tbsp cream/evaporated milk
To temper :
- 1 cinnamon stick ( about 2inches long)
- 3 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
If using dry beans, pressure cook after soaking overnight for about 4 whistles , set aside .
Get your wok and temper with ingredients mentioned above on medium heat, then add chopped onions. When onions slightly browned ,add ginger garlic paste . You’ll know it’s cooked when the aroma hits you, then add chopped tomatoes and green chilly.
Now add salt, red chilly, coriander and garam masala powder. Cook for about 4-5minutes, constantly stirring. Add kasoori methi, crushed between your hands.
Add the rajma now and cook on medium flame for about 4 minutes. Add about 1.5 cups of water ( since I used canned beans, but if you are using dry beans, use the pressure cooked water now ) and cook on medium flame for a further for another 5 -10 minutes.
Finally add 2-3 tbsp. cream or evaporated milk and mix well. Wallah!
Enjoy with some chappatis. 🙂