Sunday morning..wanna make something different. This is a kinda posh breakfast which you can put together quite fast with whatever is in the fridge. Kids loved it..who won’t when there’s eggs and sausage in the same pan!
Recipe ( adapted from Donna Hay magazine)
- 4g dry yeast
- 1 tsp castor sugar (superfine)
- 2/3 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 cups superfine ’00’ flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 4 eggs
- 2 sausages sliced thin, or you can use 8 slices of rolled pancetta
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (100g) mozzarella ( the recipe actually calls for gruyere which I can’t find anywhere..or you can substitute with edamame)
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
Preheat oven to 220deg C
Place sugar, yeast and warm water and let it bubble. In another bowl, add the flour, olive oil and salt, mix to combine. Now add the yeast mixture to the flour and bring together to make a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl, cover with a clean, damp towel and leave to rise for about 20-25 minutes. ( it depends on weather that day, I left it in front of the heating oven cos it’s kinda cold in the mornings)
Take a deep sided 25cm, square baking tray lined with non stick baking paper. Grease the tray. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to fit the tray. Place in the tray and push the dough to the edges. Crack the eggs in the 4 corners. Top with the sausages and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. scatter some torn basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden.
Serve 4-5 . Enjoy!