This has to be one of the best cakes I’ve tasted so far. For those who prefer a buttery..nutty..no chocolate flavoured cake , this is the one! And when it’s so easy to put together ( It’s crazy simple!) , it will you be your go to cake recipe when time is not on your side. I would serve it as a lovely desert after an Indian meal or just serve it at tea time with some lovely masala chai ..simply superb! 🙂 🙂
Recipe ( adapted from Sinfully spicy)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk ( 14 oz )
- 10 tbsp. melted butter, more for the cake pan
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature + 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1+ 1/3 cup semolina ( not the fine variety )
- 1+ 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup raw almonds for garnish ( on top)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder ( from 5 pods – just grind or powder the seeds)
For the sugar syrup
- 10 -12 crystal sugar cubes ( I used the ‘kalkand’)
- 6 tbsp. water
- 2-3 green cardamom pods ( smashed)
Preheat oven to 175 deg C
Get a large bowl, add to it the condensed milk, melted butter and milk. Mix well till well combined. Now add the semolina and the almond meal. Mix well then add the baking powder dissolved in the 1 tbsp. of milk that we kept aside earlier. Give it a few stirs and don’t over mix.
Get a 9″ x 2″ cake pan, butter and flour it. Line the base with parchment paper and pour in the batter. Scatter the top with the raw almonds and bake for 35 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean.
In the mean time , get a non stick pan and medium-low heat dissolve the crystal sugar and water. I just throw in the bruised cardamom pods and remove it at the end.
Once your cake is out of the oven, drizzle it with the sugar syrup and let it sit. Let it cool completely before you cut cos it will keep breaking if you cut it while it’s hot.
Serve it with some masala chai and you’ll be in heaven! Enjoy!