This has become one of my favourite cakes and I think I must have made it twice this week! Yes! I was also trying to deplete my strawberry stock. This is what happens when you go on a frenzy and buy a box of strawberries for just 10 dollars! After that came the news of the needles found in strawberries…so yes I literally had to finish it off. Btw do you guys know about the ‘hack’ to make your strawberries last longer in the fridge? All you need to do is get a bowl of water and pour in perhaps 2-3 tbsp of vinegar..(I used apple cider vinegar), then just soak the strawberries with it’s box into this bowl of water, just sort of slosh it around so that all of the strawberries get wet. Take it out and place it on some kitchen towels and into the fridge it goes. I think the last time I bought the ‘box of strawberries’ , I did this diligently and it lasted for about 2 weeks . So yeah..try it! OK back to the recipe. Again another winning recipe from Australian Women’s Weekly.
Prep + Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups( 375g) self raising flour
- 250g strawberries ,roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup greek style yoghurt
- 125g butter, unsalted and melted
- 1 cup roasted almonds, chopped roughly
- 1 cup greek style yoghurt, to serve
- 250g strawberries, halved/quartered
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line base and side of a 20cm springformpan with baking paper.
- Sift flour three times into a big bowl and add to it the rest of the ingredients and half the chopped almonds.
- Spoon this mixture into the baking pan and sprinkle on top the rest of the chopped almonds. If you aren’t keen on that crunchy almonds with every bite, skip the 1/2 cup almonds that you add to the mixture and just sprinkle the amount you want on the top.
- Bake cake for around 50 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. Leave cake in the pan for about 10-15 minutes to cool off then release the ring and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the macerated strawberries by mixing everything together in a bowl and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Serve cake topped with macerated strawberries and extra yoghurt.