Clean eating! Have you thought about eating clean? It’s the latest buzzword on healthy eating. Eating clean means eating fresh produce, grains to supercharge your body, fruits detox your body and the end product you are gonna feel like a million dollars! I am trying to follow BBC Goodfood magazine’s Healthy eating habits for 7 days.. haven’t been able to do it completely but the recipes I’ve tried so far are Yumms! Here’s one of them. Enjoy!
Just a short note on the principles for ‘clean eating’ .
Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
- Choose whole natural foods, avoid or eliminate processed foods. Processed foods are those that come in boxes or cans. Try buying fresh produce as much as you can.
- Choose unrefined over refined. Eat more grains, legumes, couscous, brown rice, millet etc.
- Include a little of carbohydrate, protein and fat at each meal.
- Watch out for salt, sugar and fats in your diet. All canned food have hidden high sodium content, and this is seen in all the soy sauces too.
- Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day to keep you from getting too hungry and maintain your blood sugar levels throughout the day.
- Don’t drink your calories! Most specialty coffees are high in calories and the same goes for isotonic drinks and soft drinks.
- Finally Get moving ! 🙂
Recipe: ( serves 2 ) Adapted from the Goodfood magazine
For the spicy salmon
- 2 salmon fillets about 500g in total
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 lime, grated zest and juice, plus wedges to serve ( feel free to use lemons)
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
For the salsa salad
- 1 corn on the hob, husk removed if attached
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 avocado , stoned, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- small bunch of coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt and pepper
1. Finely grate the garlic into a bowl, add the spices, 1 tbsp lime juice ( or lemon juice) and olive oil to make the marinade. Coat salmon fillets with the marinade and leave it in the fridge while you make the salsa.
2. Take the corn and steam it till cooked, about 15 minutes, then remove the kernels with a sharp knife and put it into a bowl. Add the chopped red pepper, onions, avocado, lime zest ,1 tbsp lime juice and 1 tbsp olive oil , mix well. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
3. Heat a frying pan on medium high heat and cook the salmon fillets for about 3 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
4. Serve with the salsa , with extra lime or lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Total cost: RM 32